There are so many reasons why a Cat Groom is at a high rate:
- Cat Grooming is a specialised animal care field, and should be treated as a specialty.
- Sedation and a shave at a vet is double, if not more, the cost than using a no sedation Cat Groomer, (when really the risk is higher for the Cat Groomer)
- Cat Groomers are working with unpredictable domesticated tigers
- If a Groomer becomes bitten, and it leads to infection, they are out of work for at least a week!
- Cats have nails, teeth and ninja moves, and they know this!
- Cats are sit and wait predators, and can launch at any time, we must learn to predict a cats movement with body language (such an important skill by continuing education such as my behaviour course ;-) )
- Clipping, especially without sedation, has a high risk of cutting a cats fine tissue-paper-like skin. it takes skills and precision. You cannot just pick up a pair of clippers!
- Have you seen the amount of shampoo (and water) it takes to bath a cat properly? Cats fur repels water and liquids, they don't want to be clean.
- The amount of electricity used to get through a matted coat and dry a thick coat such as a Maine Coon. As much as grooming a large dog!
- and sharp strong equipment. The amount of pet owners that say they brought clippers and after one clip had to stop half way and had blunted their clippers
A Cat Groomer is worth their weight in gold! Value your Cat Groomer. They risk it all for their love of Cats.
Below some lovely at home grooming pics: